Around Valentine’s Day, we talk a lot about treating the people we love to something special. But with all that love in the air, let’s not forget about our beloved animal friends!
Here are some ideas to show your pets some extra love this season:
Plan a Pet-Friendly Outing
Time outside can provide much-needed rejuvenation for pets and people alike, particularly for dogs who have been cooped up this winter.
To prep for a fun outing, watch the weather forecast to take advantage of slightly warmer days. Some great activities to get you and your pet out of the house include:
- Hiking or long walks for extra outside time
- Visiting a local dog park (and don’t forget to bring a fresh new tennis ball to play fetch!)
- Going for a relaxed drive (especially if mobility is an issue for either of you)
Pro Tip: If you’re not sure where to go, try Googling the name of your city plus “dog-friendly hikes” or “dog parks near me.” Or try this website with dog-friendly attractions listed by state!
Still Too Cold Outside?
If your dog loves people and new places, get creative so the weather doesn’t keep your fur baby homebound! Have you ever thought about taking your dog or other pet for a stroll in a store that allows pets? Many pet, hardware, and home improvement stores allow dogs inside, while some allow other types of pets too, all with proper restraint.
Even if a trip to the hardware store seems mundane to you, it might just make your pet’s day!
Treat Your Pet to Something New
Put a little pep into your pet’s step with a fun new gift, such as a:
- Fluffy new bed
- New chew toy or ball to help entertain high-energy pets
- Stuffed animal of their own (a great way to give a thrift-store find a new life!)
- Scratching mat or scratching post for cats
- New swing or perch for your feathered friend
We’d love to see you in our Pets department at your local Hamrick’s to find pet-approved gifts, accessories, and essentials for your animal friends.
Valentine’s Goodies Aren’t Just for Humans
Pro Tip: Remember, it’s generally best to avoid chocolate and nuts for dogs. Always check with your veterinarian if you’re not sure about an ingredient.
Pamper Your Pet with a “Spa Day”
You can also show your pet a little TLC with a “spa day” at your favorite groomer — or stock up on the needed supplies for an at-home spa!
“Spa treatments” could include:
- Gentle brushing & massage
- A warm bath
- A haircut or trim around the eyes & ears to prevent tangles (depending on the breed)
- Nail clipping
- Moisturizing dry or cracked paw pads
If you go the DIY route, check out these tips to help make bath time more relaxing.
Hamrick’s carries a variety of grooming supplies so you can keep your pet well-groomed all year! At-home supplies to stock up on for your pet’s next “spa day” may include:
- A brush or grooming mitt
- Coconut oil
- Cotton pads & an ear-cleaning solution
- Paw butter (also good for dry noses!)
Looking for More Ideas?
We’re always happy to share how you can spoil the loved ones in your life through every season. To find out more about what Hamrick’s has to offer and get updates on our expanding online shop, be sure to follow us on social media!