All of us at Hamrick’s are inspired by our servicemen and women, their selflessness, and the sacrifices they make to keep us safe. Please join us in taking a moment to honor the brave men and women who have given their lives to defend and protect our freedoms.
The Meaning Behind the Holiday
For many, Memorial Day weekend is a time to kick off summer and enjoy an extra day off work with loved ones. But the meaning behind this special holiday goes much deeper…
Memorial Day is a day to remember the fallen heroes who actively served our country. It’s our hope that we can all find ways—big or small—to honor and remember these brave patriots. Whether that’s serving your community or shopping for a serviceperson in your life as a way to say “thank you,” there’s so much we can do to take part in the real meaning of the holiday: remembrance.
Looking for places to start in your search for what to do this Memorial Day? Keep reading for our top suggestions, from ways to serve to items you don’t want to miss when you’re out shopping!
Give Back Before You Go Out
Before you kick off your summer shopping by scoring holiday deals at stores like Hamrick’s, check out these meaningful ideas for giving back to military personnel and honoring those lost.
- Send letters of appreciation to active duty military (a great activity for kids, too!)
- Connect with families of fallen soldiers to offer encouragement during a tough time
- Support active military families to show your appreciation for their service
You can find even MORE opportunities to serve and give back through FallenPatriots.org.
Now, let’s prep for the weekend…
In addition to giving back, Memorial Day weekend means enjoying your day off with the ones who matter most. Whatever your plans are, our stores are stocked with all the goodies and gear you’ll need to make it the best Memorial Day yet.
- Prepare. No Memorial Day holiday is complete without decor. American-themed flags, doormats, garden goods, solar lights to keep the celebration going after the sun sets… Use items like these to add a special touch to your home that your guests will notice and any military personnel stopping by will appreciate.
- Play. Family-friendly games are a must at any Memorial Day celebration. From Ring on a String, Darts, and Limbo to Badminton, Bocce Ball, and Cornhole, outdoor yard games are the perfect way to bring the whole family or group together to create lasting memories while honoring those who have served.
- Eat. All of these activities are bound to make people hungry. Get to grillin’ and feed your crowd with ease by stocking up on BBQ essentials like: turners, grill pans, long-range utensils, ladles, sauces, spices, and so much more.
Pro tip: If you’re headed away from home for the festivities, be sure to pick up some of our casserole dish carriers—they’re great for keeping your food hot, fresh, and just making travel easier overall!
- Rest. Outdoor comforts are a necessity if your plans are to spend the majority of the holiday weekend outside. If your agenda is taking you to the beach or lake, load up on the must-haves: towels, blankets, floats, rolling coolers, and summer toys to occupy the kids or grandkids. Just don’t forget to snag a water-resistant, self-draining Jane Marie tote to store all your goods for easy, stress-free travel.
Pro tip: Don’t forget sunscreen and bug spray! You’ll thank us later…
Whether your plans involve staying home to reflect and remember, going out to give back, or prepping for a day with family and friends, the team at Hamrick’s is wishing you and yours a safe and restful holiday.